There are many excellent articles about the advantages to using a Realtor as opposed to any other real estate professional, but why should you use a Realtor as opposed to going it alone when buying a home in today’s market?
8 Reasons to Use a Realtor when Buying a Home
1. A Realtor’s services are free to a buyer who purchases a listed home. You pay nothing at all to benefit from the knowledge, experience and professional skills of a local Realtor.
2. When you work with a Realtor you get exposed to all of the houses on the market at one time, letting you know what’s out there without all the tedious driving through neighborhoods looking for signs.
3. Even if using the internet to identify homes to view, working with your own realtor means you can see homes on your schedule, rather than trying to work around the schedule of every listing agent for every home.
4. Realtors know what a fair price is for a home and can negotiate without being emotionally involved. For most people buying a home is a strange mix of business, and emotion. By the time you get to the point of writing an offer you are already picturing where the Christmas tree will stand and where you’ll mark the growth of your children. A Realtor can be the disinterested party to give you the strength you need at the negotiating table.
5. While an average buyer may go through three or four real estate closings in their lifetime, a Realtor will go through three or four closings in a week. They know the ins and outs of getting from an offer to closing and can walk you through each step to make the process as smooth as possible.
6. A Realtor can also help you navigate the maze of mortgage financing. They can recommend reputable lenders and brokers, and can explain terms like HUD, escrow and PMI.
7. Realtors live and work within the community and with local businesses. Need a storage unit, a mover, an inspector or a handyman? Your Realtor knows these people and can help you find a reputable professional in any number of fields.
8. A Realtor knows what needs to be done to protect you. Despite the stereotypes of salesmen, a Realtor’s job is to protect his/her client. From the contracts they use, to the procedures they follow, you are protected when you use a Realtor.
Always remember: a Realtor works for you. You can fire him/her at any time. So shop for a Realtor like you’d shop for a doctor or a mechanic. Work with the one that fits your personality and personal goals. If you feel like you’re being sold a “bill of goods”, move on. You are in the driver’s seat.